Cilantro Tuna Burgers
Serve as burgers or as a snack (I recommend a good crusty French bread with Dijon mustard). If you eat like a hamburger, my testers agree that the tomato sauce is a perfect accompaniment (you can use the sauce on page 25 if you want it to be done at home).
- 1 pound fresh tuna, cubed
- ½ cup 1-inch scallion pieces (light and dark parts)
- ½ cup lightly packed cilantro leaves (fresh coriander)
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¹⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 – Place the tuna, green onions, cilantro, parsley, bread crumbs, lemon juice, egg white, garlic, pepper and salt in a food processor. Cover and process until everything is chopped.
2 – Form four patties 4 inches.
3 – In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook for 3 minutes on one side, then turn and cook for 2-3 minutes or until cooked.
Diabetic Exchanges: ¼ bread; 4 very lean meat; ¼ vegetable; 1 fat
Tagged: diabetes recipes