This is a handy soup to have around all the time. It’s low in everything you don’t want. I eat this whenever I’m feeling really hungry. It fills me up so I don’t overeat foods that are more calorie or carbohydrate or protein intensive.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- ¼ cup snipped fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups lightly packed, coarsely chopped escarole
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallion (dark green part)
Sprinkle with the scallion.
REDUCED SODIUM: Use low-sodium broth.
Diabetic Exchanges: ¼ bread; ¼ lean meat; 1 vegetable; ½ fat
Tagged: diabetes recipes