I love this Southwestern stew! Don’t be intimidated by the relatively long list of ingredients— it’s really not hard to make. It’s also not too spicy; if you like more heat, add some Tabasco sauce or ground red pepper.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One 14- or 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice, undrained
- 1 pound stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup canned chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¹⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves (fresh coriander) Salt to taste
REDUCED FAT/SATURATED FAT/PROTEIN/CHOLESTEROL: Substitute 1 cup black beans for the beef; omit the water and use 2 cups broth instead.
REDUCED SODIUM: Use low-sodium tomatoes, omit the green chilies, and add 1 to 2 seeded jalapeño peppers, chopped.
Diabetic Exchanges: ¼ other carbohydrate; 3 lean meat; 1¾ vegetable; ½ fat
MENU SUGGESTIONS: Tomato Salsa with Crudités or Baked Tortilla Chips; Green Bean and Red Onion Salad ; Cajun Barley ; Fresh Strawberries
|Santa Fe Beef Stew|